Heads up for login managers

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Feb 10 09:39:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 08:32:50PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Hey,
>
> The major chunk of fast-user-switching has landed in Rawhide and as such
> if a desktop session requires non-trival services from HAL the login
> manager launching the session needs to be patched to poke ConsoleKit.
> I've filed a tracking bug for this

As I said in the bugzilla, the dm is not the right place for ConsoleKit
handling. This definitely belongs to pam. At least for the following
reasons:
* avoid code duplication, especially important becaus security is at
  stake here
* can be extended to other login services than dm
* can be removed for dm
* configurable
* avoid adding dependencies to dm. dbus and glib are bug deps for small
 dm.

--
Pat