Core merge and Package Guidelines

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Feb 25 09:59:10 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 09 février 2007 à 11:26 +0100, Michael Schwendt a écrit :

> There has been some unfortunate development in that area.
>
> If memory serves correctly, we have never wanted absolutely strict
> ownership in those cases, at least not when we created the initial
> reviewing guidelines.
>
> It's not worth the effort. It would be wrong to create a dependency on an
> optional help viewer just to get ownership of a documentation root
> directory.

IMHO:

1. The default rule should be package owning all the directories it uses
and created itself
2. For directories owned by another package, there should be a dep on
this other package
3. For common shared directories where we don't want to force a dep on
another component, a fedora-filesystem package should be created that
owns those dirs and manages their permissions (in that case both primary
and secondary users of the dir should depend on fedora-filesystem)

3. solves the unowned dir/permission conflict problem, documents what
directories Fedora considers shared, and does not force dependency
explosion. If there are not enough users for a dir to be put in the
fedora-filesystem package then we can live with deps on the primary
owner, little harm done, and being strict is better than being lax
(which always bite you someday)

--
Nicolas Mailhot