Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jun 3 14:13:00 UTC 2007

On 03.06.2007 15:46, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 03 June 2007 07:12:48 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> Security updates go straight to Stable already.
>> They shouldn't. They should undergo an automated procedure to assure
>> they fit cleanly into the existing installations and don't break package
>> deps.
> This is not always practical.  Should a firefox remote exploit fix be held up
> because a fringe package that builds against FF and is used by say 5 people
> hasn't been rebuilt yet?  Should every use suffer?  I seriously hope not.

Well, the merged world should give us some benefits now. Can't those
packagers that have packages depending on firefox give caillion the
permission to rebuild their packages? Then he can simply build all those
after the new firefox fished building. A script might be helpful and
could automate most of it -- then it would be nothing more than one
button someone has to push after a new firefox is through the buildsys.

That might delay the firefox update by an hour maybe. That's acceptable
for the benefit afaics.

Ohh, and those packages that fail the rebuild simply don't get pushed --
not nice, but happens.

That would improve the situation quite a lot. Knowingly breaking the
repo is not the answer.

CU
thl