Fedora User Management (revisited)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Mar 10 11:45:36 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> writes:

>> > Don't userdel the user.
>>
>> ??? When I install a package on machine A and machine B, I do not use
>> 'userdel' overall.
>
> "a package/daemon writes files and/or reads files which are protected
> by file permissions" does not do so by default from machine A to
> machine B, right?

Perhaps not "by default"; but this package might be used in a setup
which shares network resources betwen A and B.

>> > Check out httpd, a prominent package which can have sensitive data
>> > underneath its user.
>>
>> 'httpd' has the comfort to have a really fixed uid < 100...
>
> Even if not, it would not relocate the uid because it simply does not
> delete the user when uninstalling.

I do not see why you want to delete the user resp. why you are speaking
about this. Problem happens when 'httpd' has uid 100 on A, uid 101 on B
and both are using a common, NFS-shared /srv/www.

Or, when /srv/www is on the local machine, contains an huge amount of
data, and the system must be reinstalled for some reason.

'fedora-usermgmt' solves this problem by allowing the adminstrator to
use a fixed window for daemon uids. With this setup, 'httpd' will have
same uid on machine A and B, and after the reinstallation.

Enrico