Proposal: Automate fedora-maintainers subscriptions

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Mar 21 05:53:46 UTC 2007

On 20.03.2007 20:08, Christopher Stone wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> Christopher Stone schrieb:
>>> For the same reason any SIG should have their own list.
>> And that reason is?
> Okay, well if we are going to remove special interest topics, we may
> as well remove 99% of the mailing lists listed here:
>
> Clearly there in the past was a need for special interest topics, I
> havn't actually counted, but it looks like somewhere between 95%-99%
> of all those mailing lists could be considered special interest.

Sure; but it depends on how big this "special interest" is to be worth
having a special list where large parts of the other contributors
probably won't be on. So they might miss important informations that
might be relevant for them, and that's what some people complained about
in the past with the current mailing list.

>> P.S..:In case it matters: my current opinion is that this list is fine
>> to stay, but seems some people think different about it and I agree that
>> it's worth to be discussed
> I looked through those threads that you posted and did not see anyone
> but you questioning the need for the games list.

This stuff got discussed on IRC, too (I think the fedora-games example
came up there there). And I received some private mails, too.

/me thinks finger pointing doesn't help much

>> P.P.S.:I just want to make sure we have a healthy information flow in
>> the project as a whole. Having separate communication channels sometimes
>> can improve the "information flow" but sometimes disturb it. It's a
>> trade off.
> I think clearly labeling special interest lists with a format like:
> fedora-SIG-* would clearly differentiate special interest list against
> general interest lists.  If the list is named fedora-foo, you know it
> is a general interest list.  If it is named fedora-SIG-foo, then it is
> a special interest list.

See above. I don't have a problem with a list for a SIG, my only concern
is that people not on the list need to know all the details that are
relevant for them.

A example for this case: there are special "suggestions" for packaging
games. They are documented on the wiki, but I think such stuff and
especially changes to it should get announced to the normal lists, so
non-SIG members know what's the current  suggestion-set in case they
package or review a game; and it allows the other contributors to
discuss stuff the games-SIG worked out, without being member of the SIG
mailing list.

CU
thl