CPAN Module RPMs

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 21 16:27:32 UTC 2006

Dave Cross wrote:

> I've just started to dabble with packaging RPMs from CPAN modules and
> making them available for download (see http://rpm.mag-sol.com/). This
> had brought up a number of questions that people on this list would
> probably be best placed to answer.
>
> 1/ Currently I've been using cpan2rpm to build the RPMs. Are there any
> better tools out there? What do you use to create RPMs from CPAN
> distributions?

Try cpanspec (it's in Extras). I don't use it myself but I know a lot of
packages in Extras were built starting from a cpanspec package.

> 2/ Are there any good tools for building web pages from RPMs. I've
> played with rpm2html but I don't want to my web pages to look like it's
> still 1998. Something that interfaces with the Template Toolkit would be
> great, and I'd be happy to write that if it doesn't already exist.

How about repoview, which is used by Fedpra Extras, e.g.:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/repodata/

> 3/ I assume there are standards that define how CPAN modules should be
> packaged for use with Fedora (I'm largely targeting Fedora - if the RPMs
> work with other distributions then that's a bonus). Are they documented
> somewhere?

Using cpanspec will give you a good starting point as I believe it's
based on the Fedora perl package template. The packages should meet the
general packaging guidelines
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines) and some tips for
perl packages in particular can be found at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Perl

Paul.