[Distutils] SOLVED: bdist_rpm and pre-release python packages / eggs (was: pre-release versioning problems with sdist, bdist_rpm, bdist_debian)

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 03:51:15 UTC 2009

Manuel,
  In RPM the only restriction on 'version' is that it must be made of
alphanumeric or period.  Ref:
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html
  Just for a small test I ran a perfectly legal version pattern, that is
allowable in distros other than Fedora, through your patch logic.

version = A2
release = 0_rc1
version-release = A2-0_rc1       # this is what we expected to see
version-release = -0.0_rc1.A2   # this is what we get instead as strings
are modified by patch logic

  This is why I suggest that you make an extension module triggered by a
commandline option so there are no restrictions or unexpected
side-effects introduced to non-Fedora distro users.
  Right now, I'm a big -1 on the patch.    If it would be made as an
extension triggered by commandline option then I would support it.

Regards,
Gerry