Installing the new policy

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Wed Jun 2 16:56:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 20:37, Tom London wrote:
> So here's the condensed version;
> 1. installing selinux-policy-strict-sources (and selinux-policy-strict)
> did not setup /etc/selinux/config, nor did it modify
> /etc/sysconfig/selinux.  (I must admit that I was confused by the
> message thread. Did I need to remove /etc/sysconfig/selinux before doing
> the 'yum install selinux-policy-strict-sources'?  I thought the install
> would add the 'SELINUXTYPE=strict' line to an existing file, but I may
> have read this wrong.)

I don't think that Dan has set up the spec file to do this yet in
%post.  So you have to manually create /etc/selinux/config at present.
/etc/sysconfig/selinux is obsolete with the newer libselinux and
SysVinit.  /usr/bin/selinuxconfig will show what libselinux thinks are
the active policy paths.

> 2. My system was 'setup' to boot by default into 'disabled' mode. This
> caused a lot of problems with unlabeled files, directories, etc.

I think that this will eventually be covered by changing the spec file
to create /etc/selinux/config if it does not already exist.  Dan?

> 3. I had to 'yum remove setools'. Did this cause my booting or other
> problems?

No, I don't think it created any of the problems you experienced.  But
setools will need to be updated to use the new libselinux functions, and
rebuilt.

> 4. I added both 'SELINUXTYPE=' and 'POLICYTYPE=' lines to
> /etc/sysconfig/selinux and to /etc/selinux/config.  Are both
> needed/correct?  /sbin/fixfiles seems to want 'SELINUXTYPE'...

SELINUXTYPE is correct.  There was a bug in the spec file that was using
POLICYTYPE; that should be changed if it hasn't already.

> 5. I manually copied /etc/selinux/conf from /etc/sysconfig/selinux. Does
> that provide the correct info/format?

Yes, except that you need to add a SELINUXTYPE=strict (or targeted) to
it, and it is named /etc/selinux/config.

You also need to relabel after updating the policy to get /etc/selinux
into the right types.  Odds of successfully making this transition in
enforcing mode are slim, I suspect.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>