dmesg errors (sgi_fam)

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Wed Mar 17 10:01:22 UTC 2004

Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> You should turn off sgi_fam
> chkconfig sgi_fam off
>
> This is generating most of the errors and will be turned off by default
> in Test2.

Its not clear here whether fam will be turned off just for test2 while issues
are sorted out, or permanently including the FC2 final release.

If the latter then I'd be concerned about losing the file monitoring
functionality and I suspect a lot of users will complain that the file
browsers  are broken and not updating correctly.

I've googled for an explanation of what the problem is with fam/selinux but
didn't come up with anything. I'd be curious to know what it is. Or even if
there's a new replacement which supercedes it.

Cheers,

Martin.