How to start using selinux?

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Mar 25 17:20:37 UTC 2004

OK, it is getting close to when FC2 Test2 is to be available so I thought I
would start playing with selinux.  Rather than try to update Test1 and get it
right, I downloaded FC2 x86_64 development yesterday (finally, a mirror that
was current) and did an "everything" install with selinux set to
"permissive".

I had some initial problems with running kudzu so I have turned it off (not
run at bootup).  I saw the email about sgi_fam so I set it off also (although
I still get a bunch of messages at bootup.

The system comes up fine in permissive mode so I tried changing
/etc/sysconfig/selinux to "enforcing".  Oops, lots more messages during
bootup and a lot of services failing startup.  Then I got this popup that the
"gdm" user did not exist so gdm was not started.

I assume that the way things are suppose to work is that the system comes up
in enforcing mode the same way it would without selinux but that now I had to
do things only with some kind of "role" for anything requiring special
privledges.

Is there any kind of "cookbook" that explains how to get started?  I looked at
the stuff in selinux-doc but there is nothing simple there.

I am not sure what to report any problems against either.

OK, can anyone point me to any "hints" on how to get started?

Gene