Dont know the meaning of sestatus's report

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 10:59:40 UTC 2004

Patrick Chiang wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I'm new to SELinux,
>hopefully my question is not a FAQ,
>I've googled around for a while but still no clues at all.
>
>while I run sestatus, I found these messages...
>
>allow_ypbind            inactive
>httpd_disable_trans     inactive
>httpd_enable_cgi        active
>httpd_enable_homedirs   active
>httpd_ssi_exec          active
>httpd_unified           active
>named_disable_trans     inactive
>named_write_master_zonesinactive
>
>some of them are easy to understand,
>but the rest phrases, such as named_disable_trans, httpd_unified,  are
>rather difficult.

If you use system-config-securitylevel, these booleans get a better
translation.  It probably would be
a good idea to use the translation table in s-c-sl for this tool.  (Put
it on my todo list. :^))

SERVICE_disable_trans - if active means that the SERVICE will run
without SELinux protection,
so if I can not get apache to run under SELinux I could specify

setsebool -P httpd_disable_trans 1

And then restart httpd, it will now run under unconfined_t instead of
httpd_t.

httpd_unified - tells policy to treat all files marked as httpd content
the same way.
So httpd and freiends can read/write/execute all content.