libselinux tools location

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Nov 19 20:36:50 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> Stephen Smalley wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 07:54, Joe Orton wrote:
> >

> >>I noticed the tools moved from /usr/bin to /usr/sbin which broke the
> >>changes I'd made to apachectl to use /usr/bin/selinuxenabled.  Are these
> >>going to stay in /usr/sbin now, and this location change will be in
> >>RHEL4 as well as FC4?
> >>

> >Sorry, who changed this?  Upstream libselinux still installs the
> >utilities to /usr/bin (by default, unless you override the BINDIR
> >definition).
> >

> Yes they will stay in /usr/sbin.  We changed the location, as I felt
> these tools were not to be used by non admins.
> They will be there in all future versions of  RHEL and FC.

So much for the stated policy of following upstream as much as possible.

If it is an important change why not get upstream to change it?
It appears that every time someone outside of Red Hat wants a change the
standard answer is to get it changed upstream. Why is this different?
It is not like Fedora will stop working without it. :-)

I actually agree with the change, but I am just trying to understand
what the policy really is?

Regards,

Tom