SELinux/httpd integration

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Nov 22 22:57:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:05:53 EST, Colin Walters said:

> > It will be hard for users to guess "httpd_unified" means "allowing httpd  fullaccess to all contents".
>
> My hope is that anyone who wants to do SELinux/Apache work on Fedora
> will either
> 1) Read the Fedora Apache/SELinux guide, where this is documented
> 2) Understand enough about SELinux to understand what the union of a
> permission set means.

Idiot me - at first glance, I assumed that 'httpd_unified' was the policy
file that allowed for differences in file locations across Fedora/debian/gentoo. ;)

Yes, I know what the union of a permission set is (at least when I've had
enough caffeine - but didn't see that "unified" referred to a union of
permission sets....  Yuichi is correct - it's not an incredibly intuitive
name.  And remember that a *lot* of people will be installing SELinux
under future Fedora Core and RHEL releases who are *NOT* SELinux experts -
they will know "I'm running SELinux, and I have these services, so I need
to install the policies they need" - and that's the limit of their
in-depth understanding...