dumb question / idea

josh baverstock joshbaverstock at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 08:11:56 UTC 2004

I must first admit that I am new to linux, I am not qualified to suggest a
feature, so please consider this a question.

IF its true that when SELinux is fully enabled the restrictions can cause
some problems when programs do things they are supposed to do but normally
don't, THEN I have an idea.

What if an intrusion detection system were to inform the SELinux server that
an intrusion is likely happening, which triggers a change from
non-enforcement mode to enforcement mode?

Would this "raise the shields" method be useful for situations where
enforcement mode just isnt right, or is this more of a fundamental
misunderstanding on my part of how SELinux works...?

I think in the future this NSA project will be an example of the government
receiving a 100 fold return on their investment, even considering that
SELinux isn't likely to be used in classified systems.