error: kernel: audit: avc: denied { write }

Roger Skildum cowchaser at axs.net
Tue Feb 1 14:45:36 UTC 2005

I am running FC3 with a vanilla 2.6.10 kernel patched for Win4lin.  I am
not sure what has happened but all of a sudden I started getting a whole
slew of the errors listed below each time I boot.

Jan 30 05:18:48 host kernel: audit(1107080328.663:0): avc:  denied  {
write } for  pid=3575 exe=/usr/sbin/ntpd name=log dev=tmpfs ino=6673
scontext=user_u:system_r:ntpd_t tcontext=user_u:object_r:device_t
tclass=sock_file

 From what I understand they are related to selinux.  They are not all
the same but all deal with kernel: audit.  The system log shows me that
they happen while the system is running also.  I have not noticed any
system degradation but something must be wrong.  I do not think I have
done anything to course this except update my system.  When I run system
monitor I see under the Resource Monitor tab I see a device listed as
/dev/shm with a type as tmpfs with a total of 125MB but 0% used.  When I
look in the /dev directory there is no /dev/shm or /dev/tmpfs for that
matter.  Is this related to the problem since the error lists
dev=tmpfs?  Any I ideas as to what is wrong or how to correct?
Thanks
Roger