Samba file server

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 7 20:29:30 UTC 2005

> You have /root on this share?  Interesting.  I'm not sure you can do
> what I describe below in /root.

No I don't. That's what the avc output says. I have no idea why it says
that - I guess it prints the path relative to the volume mount point,
not to the global /.

> Try relabeling the portions of /data that you want to have
> user_home_dir_t and user_home_t:
>
> chcon -t user_home_dir_t /data/smb
> cd /data/smb
> chcon -R -r user_home_t ./*

That sounds like a hack. This isn't a home directory so why
should I label it as such. It's a bunch of common files.
In addition to that I want home directories under /home.
Since smbd currently fails to read even those, how would labeling
/data user_home_t help?

=============

Part of the problem in my mind is that I do not know what
the SElinux types are, which ones I need to do what I want,
and how to add new ones to perform this simple task.

Consider traditional UNIX permissions. There's a straightforward
procedure for doing what I want. I create a group called data.
I put whoever I want in it (user1, user2, user3, httpd..). Then
I chgrp /data with that. Nice and simple. I forget what smbd does - I
think it checks to see if the UNIX user that you're logged in with
has access to that folder.

What's the SElinux equivalent?

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>