Creating new roles

Steve Brueckner steve at atc-nycorp.com
Thu Jan 13 22:47:57 UTC 2005

I spent my first couple of days in SELinux tinkering with FC2, and only
installed FC3 today.  It's possible I may not yet fully appreciate the
differences in working with the targeted policy.  I see now that even though
multiple roles are defined, they're all assigned to the unconfined_t domain.

The targeted policy appeals to me for the obvious reasons: I'd like most of
the system to run without the complications introduced by SELinux.  I'd
rather not go back to the strict policy unless I have to.

My goal, however, is to do some fairly serious policy writing to lock down a
few applications, but leave most of the system alone.  I think I'll need to
make new domains, new roles, and new transitions to do this.

>From my limited understanding, it looks like even though the default
targeted policy is role-blind, I should be able to modify it to add my own
custom roles that aren't of type unconfined_t.  After all, it's still
SELinux under the hood, isn't it?  Or am I missing something fundamental?
Will I have no choice but to use the strict policy as my starting point?

 - Steve