SELinux settings for a program run either by apache or user?

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 04:07:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 14:47 +1100, Nick Urbanik wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> I have written a program that I use both run by Apache and by normal
> users as a command line application.
>
> When I changed the attribute of the program file to
> httpd_sys_script_exec_t, It no longer had permission to write to the
> console.  What is the simplest way to handle this properly in SELinux?

The simplest solution is to simply make two copies of the program file
(by using e.g. cp), accessible by different names, with different
labels.  So you'd have e.g. "/usr/bin/program.cgi" labeled as
httpd_sys_script_exec_t, and just "/usr/bin/program" labeled as bin_t.

The other solution is to define a new type, and grant both domains in
question access to it.  This is a lot more complex; now you have to
consider potential information flow between the two domains which were
(presumably) separate before.