NSA motives

stewartetcie at canada.com stewartetcie at canada.com
Wed Jul 6 20:01:58 UTC 2005

Waiting for the other shoe to drop?

On 5 Jul 07:11 (CEST) Peter Magnusson
iocc at fedora-selinux.lists.flashdance.cx> wrote:
>I'll have my tinfoil hat on for the rest of the day

On 5 Jul 04:39 (PDT) Angela Kahealani
<angela at kahealani.com> wrote:
>I doubt it... you probably meant aluminum foil.
>If you've got actual tin foil, where do I get some?

So the real conspiracy is about who has replaced all
the tin foil with aluminum foil? I don't think so.

This belief appears to have arisen as a result of a
simple misunderstanding. Many people who've heard the
same voices you two claim to hear have been diagnosed
with tinnitus. Whether or not these diagnoses are
accurate, tin probably won't help.

It sure is funny about all that aluminum foil though...

On  4 Jul 23:05 (PDT) Valdis Kletnieks
<Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>The back door is elsewhere, where you'll never find
>it, especially if you're busy looking at the SELinux
>code looking for backdoors.

Interesting, if true, but I'm more concerned that the
mandatory access control of SE Linux, combined with a
digital rights management policy, provides a strategy
to control the flow of information on the internet.
Digital rights management policies require a unique ID
for information access that can also provide the
"internet DNA" to track users online.

Distributing software that's used to restrict access to
 information under non-restrictive licenses like the
GPL seems to be counter-productive. It is inappropriate
for the open source community to be co-opted by a
strategy that runs counter to their motives. Now that
SE Linux has been merged into Linux 2.6, without
digital rights management policies, are we waiting for
the other shoe to drop?

The thing to remember about SE Linux is just because it
is merged with the Linux 2.6 kernel does not mean that
it is mandatory. It can be removed with a some effort,
just like those tin foil hats.