Problem encountered with x-windows in Fedora FC4

Abe Drier adrier at acm.org
Sun Jun 26 03:08:35 UTC 2005

I'll begin by mentioning my system works fine under FC3.  I currently
have a dual boot system with FC3 and FC4.

Trying to do the clean FC4 install using the windowing option resulted
in a white screen.  Retried the installation in text mode and the
installation completed successfully.  When the system booted, post
installation, the same white screen reappeared.

Rebooted with "init 3" to come up in text mode.  Only one anomaly was
noted.  About every fifth keyboard entry results in the appearance of
one white square character in the center of the screen that lasts for
one keystroke.

Tried "startx" and was confronted with the white screen.  Switching to a
virtual console results in a confused mess of blue and gray box
characters.  Can log in successfully after which the screen has a blue
border with a working screen within the border.  The first few pixels of
the character that should be on the left edge are actually on the right
edge.  That is the first character of the line is split on the right and
left edge.

The "xorg.conf" configuration file is the same in FC3 and FC4.  So for
the moment I am perplexed.  The hardware is the same and the
configuration file is the same.  I have appended the configuration file.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

(I have installed all the updates as of June 25 2005.  I can't execute
system-config-display from the console in that I get a white screen.
Was unable to locate xorgcfg or xorgsetup in Fedora as mentioned on the
x.org site.)

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name
of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps"
#
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Sony CPD-200SF"
	DisplaySize  330	240
	HorizSync    30.0 - 80.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "trident"
	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	BoardName   "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"