Directories for policy module packages

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue Jul 25 16:04:20 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 10:14 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>>> Now that RPM packages are starting to include policy module packages
>>> (my mod_fcgid package was approved for Extras recently:
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/195666), it would be nice to have a
>>> standard place for the .pp files to be dropped, and for that
>>> directory to be owned by the selinux-policy package (so that all the
>>> packages don't need to own it themselves).
>>>
>>> I propose the following:
>>>
>>> /usr/share/selinux/packages
>>> (container directory, separate from modules bundled with Core package)
>>>
>>> /usr/share/selinux/packages/mls
>>> (policy modules for use with the mls base policy)
>>>
>>> /usr/share/selinux/packages/strict
>>> (policy modules for use with the strict base policy)
>>>
>>> /usr/share/selinux/packages/targeted
>>> (policy modules for use with the targeted base policy)
>>>
>>> /usr/share/selinux/packages/share
>>> (policy modules that have no base-specific elements, and can be used
>>> with all base policies)

I think this is a good idea.
>> There already is a standard location:
>>
>> /usr/share/selinux/NAME/

Currently the selinux-policy-TYPE package looks in this directory and
installs all the pp files that are in this directory.
It should probably change to only install  the pp files that it is
packaging.  This is a management headache because we
don't need to manage this now.  If someone has a good solution to
figuring out the pp files during the spec build this would be
great.  Trying to update the modules-TYPE.conf file and maintaining the
spec file in sync would be a royal pain.