New SELinux User

Linda Finch lindafinch1 at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 15:31:51 UTC 2006

I am trying to get up to speed with SELinux however as I am also a novice
Linux user (my OS knowledge has been with other systems) this is a very
steep learning curve!  To ease the pain, I purchased the SELinux by example
book and have been trying to work through the example policy module for the
IRC daemon.

I set up a standard FC4 workstation with the required strict src policy, IRC
etc and proceeded to follow through the book however I cannot get it to
compile.  When I enter the make && make install && make load command I get
the following error:

make && make install && make load
/usr/bin/checkpolicy  -o policy.21 policy.conf
/usr/bin/checkpolicy:  loading policy configuration from policy.conf
domains/program/ircd.te:28:ERROR 'duplicate declaration of type/attribute'
at token ';' on line 290384:
type ircd_log_t, file_type, sysadmfile, logfile;
#line 28
checkpolicy:  error(s) encountered while parsing configuration
make: *** [policy.21] Error 1

I've double checked the ircd.te file, looked at the policy.conf file and
can't see anything wrong.  Is this error immediately obvious to anyone
(without knowing the example in the book of course!)?  If so, please help!
Apologies if there is something simple that I've not done - as I say, I'm a
novice user!  I've also had a go with the reference policy example in the
book for FC5 and couldn't get that to compile either.  That gives an error
with the generated_definitions.conf file.  I downloaded the most uptodate
version of the refpolicy from Tresys' site but maybe there are other patches
I need?  Again, this was a std FC5 install.

Thanks in advance

Linda