semodule -b does not work in FC5

Yuichi Nakamura ynakam at gwu.edu
Sat Oct 21 09:02:02 UTC 2006

I am editing policy source for Fedora Core 5 to study refpolicy.

I did yum update today, and found semodule -b does not work.
Last week, it was working..
Version for related command is below.
selinux-policy-2.3.7-2.fc5
checkpolicy-1.30.3-1.fc5
libsepol-1.12.28-1.fc5

How to reproduce problem is following:

1) I obtained selinux-policy-2.3.7-2.fc5.src.rpm  from fedora mirror site.
2) installed src.rpm
3) Edit following 2 lines in selinux-policy.spec
%define BUILD_STRICT 0
%define BUILD_MLS 0
4) rpmbuild -bi selinux-policy.spec
5) cd BUILD/serefpolicy-2.3.7/
6) Edit build.conf, like below.
TYPE=targeted-mcs
NAME=targeted
DISTRO=redhat
DIRECT_INITRC=y
MONOLITHIC=n
7) make install-src
8) cd /etc/selinux/targeted/src/policy
9) make load, but fails.

/usr/sbin/semodule -s targeted -b /usr/share/selinux/targeted/base.pp -i /usr/share/selinux/targeted/amavis.pp -i /usr/share/selinux/targeted/clamav.pp -i /usr/share/selinux/targeted/dcc.pp -i /usr/share/selinux/targeted/pyzor.pp -i /usr/share/selinux/targeted/razor.pp
libsepol.mls_read_range_helper: truncated range
libsepol.sepol_module_package_read: invalid module in module package (at section 0)
libsemanage.semanage_load_module: Error while reading from module file /etc/selinux/targeted/modules/tmp/base.pp.
/usr/sbin/semodule:  Failed!

Why does it fail?

Yuichi Nakamura