suggest an icon for selinux (e.g. setroubleshoot)

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Sep 1 15:43:00 UTC 2006

At 10:03 AM -0400 9/1/06, John Dennis wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 09:55 -0400, John Dennis wrote:
>>  Let's do a straw poll vote:
>>
>>  A) Star fish inscribed in a circle (pentagon)
>>
>>  B) Golden key inscribed in a pentagon
>>
>>  C) Mousetrap
>>
>>  D) Gecko in a trench coat with the collar turned up
>>
>>  E) Crossed swords
>
>The starfish inscribed in a circle reminds me of the badge worn by
>sheriffs in westerns, but that might too cultural and possibly too
>generic. The mousetrap and gecko are cool, fun, playful and don't have
>other strong associations, I like them. But my vote probably goes for B,
>it seems to strike the right balance between existing associations, is
>uniquely different, maintains dignity, and would be recognizable at
>small sizes.

I expect that pentagons are out, because of the association with the
US Department of Defense.

How about an exterior window showing a (view of a room with a) barred
interior door?  That derives from the SELinux metaphor that even if
"they" get in through the windows, the doors to other rooms are still
locked.  That should be doable as an icon, and recognizable as the
same icon when shown as a small icon.  It would have lots of
right-angles, so even I could draw one.