su user -c problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 8 00:10:47 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008, Davide Bolcioni wrote:
>On Monday 07 January 2008 05:23:20 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I boot and login at runlevel 3, the everything but X, then run startx by
>> hand. I'm a big dummy maybe, and an old fart, but *I* can run it by using
>> the S99local link exactly the same as it real name, so why doesn't init
>> run it?
>
>I had something similar happen to me some time in the past, say about Fedora
>Core 3, and my init script was hanging (I could see it with pstree) asking
>for user input. I would pepper the script with
>
>  echo $$ so far so good >> /tmp/cursed-initscript.log
>
>to see if it is started at all and then hangs or exits somewhere.

Interesting idea Davide
according to pstree, init is indeed still present, top of the list in fact:

init─┬─/usr/bin/sealer
     ├─acpid
     ├─artsd
     ├─atd
     ├─auditd─┬─audispd───{audispd}
     │        └─{auditd}
     ├─automount───4*[{automount}]
     ├─avahi-daemon───avahi-daemon
     ├─console-kit-dae───61*[{console-kit-dae}]
     ├─crond
     ├─cupsd
     ├─2*[dbus-daemon───{dbus-daemon}]
     ├─dbus-launch
     ├─dcopserver
     ├─drift-checker───sleep
     ├─fetchmail
     ├─gam_server
     ├─gconfd-2
     ├─gpg-agent
     ├─gpm
     ├─hald───hald-runner─┬─hald-addon-acpi
     │                    ├─hald-addon-hid-
     │                    ├─hald-addon-inpu
     │                    ├─hald-addon-stor
     │                    └─hald-addon-usb-
     ├─hcid
     ├─2*[heyu]
     ├─kaccess
     ├─kded
     ├─kdeinit─┬─gkrellm───{gkrellm}
     │         ├─kio_file
     │         ├─klauncher
     │         ├─konsole─┬─su───bash───amrecover
     │         │         ├─su───bash───pstree
     │         │         └─2*[su───bash]
     │         ├─konsole───2*[su───bash]
     │         ├─konsole─┬─su───bash
     │         │         └─su───bash───htop
     │         ├─konsole───4*[su───bash───tail]
     │         ├─kwin
     │         ├─nm-applet
     │         ├─puplet
     │         └─python
     ├─kdesktop
     ├─kgpg
     ├─kicker
     ├─kio_uiserver
     ├─kmail───4*[{kmail}]
     ├─kmix
     ├─knotify
     ├─ksensors
     ├─ksmserver
     ├─kwalletmanager
     ├─login───bash───startx───xinit─┬─X
     │                               └─ck-xinit-sessio───startkde─┬─kwrapper
     │                                                            └─ssh-agent
     ├─login───bash
     ├─4*[mingetty]
     ├─notification-da
     ├─ntpd
     ├─pcscd
     ├─restorecond
     ├─rklogd
     ├─rpc.idmapd
     ├─rpc.statd
     ├─rpcbind
     ├─rsyslogd───{rsyslogd}
     ├─2*[sendmail]
     ├─setroubleshootd───2*[{setroubleshootd}]
     ├─spamd───2*[spamd]
     ├─sshd
     ├─start_kdeinit
     ├─udevd
     ├─xinetd───amandad───amindexd
     └─yum-updatesd

OTOH, I have NDI if that is normal.  It is also sitting there in an htop
screen showing "init(3)" which I assume is the runlevel.  I'll pepper the
last S## before that and see if its hung, and the top of rc.local, but that
doesn't show anyplace, and if I run it by hand, it does everything and exits
cleanly.

Many thanks for the hint.

--
Cheers, Gene