Partitions Mounted by fstab

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Wed Mar 5 15:47:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 15:16 +0000, Arthur Dent wrote:
> Hello Chaps,
>
> I'm running SELinux in permissive mode on F8. I was thinking of switching to
> enforcing mode and took a peek inside /var/log/messages to see what denials
> SELinux is currently reporting. I was *horrified* - there must be thousands
> there! Doing "cat /var/log/audit/audit.log" is even worse - it takes about a minute to
> scroll through!
>
> They mainly relate to procmail, clamd and samba but I get many reports of
> incorrectly labelled files (file_t).
>
> I want to tackle these one step at a time and I think the first place to start
> is with the incorrectly labelled files.
>
> I have tried the "touch ./autorelabel; reboot" trick (several times!) but I
> still get the same errors.
>
> As a mater of interest, I have a procmail recipe which writes a copy of every
> mail I receive to a backup area on my /dev/sda8 partition, mounted as
> /mnt/backup/ by fstab. (It is an ext3 partition).
>
> I have tried doing:
> "restorecon -v -R /mnt/backup"
> and even:
> "fixfiles relabel"
>
> on this partition, but I gather this will not work. I think that I must
> somehow define a policy for this (and probably other) partition(s), but I am
> unclear as to how to go about this.

You might try something like this, assuming that you only store mail
files under /mnt/backup and only procmail requires access:

semanage fcontext -a -t mail_spool_t "/mnt/backup(/.*)?"
restorecon -v -R /mnt/backup

If you need other things to be able to access it, then we'll have to
know more to decide how to label it, or you could possibly move it to a
subdir of /mnt/backup like /mnt/backup/spool that can be devoted to
procmail's use.