rsync as backup from f11 to F10 - issues

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Thu Aug 13 00:52:25 UTC 2009

On 08/12/2009 05:07 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Daniel J Walsh<dwalsh at redhat.com>
wrote:
 originals.

> > Is this how others do backups?

   Cant speak for others but I do not backup selinux labels. I cannot
speak to other attributes or ACL's.

  I think of selinux labels as belonging to the host server policy not
the backup machine - so the policy in my mind comes from the target
where the backups would be restored to.

  So, if you backed up /home/cloaked/foo and restored it to
bing:/home/cloaked/foo then I would expect the labels to come from the
policy on bing - whether or not the backup was made from bing or
somewhere else.

> > How would this differ if rdiff-backup was used instead?  Since
> > rdiff-backup is rsync based ....

  Dunno - I kind of thought rdiff-backup had better extended attribute
handling than rsync itself and its my preferred tool anyway.

 gene/