Auditd port 60 access in RHEL 5.2

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 18:10:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 11:12 -0500, Dan Gruhn wrote:

> Could someone give me some pointers and/or point me to something I could
> read to get me going?  I have the 5.3 audit RPMs, but can't seem to find
> the right pieces.

The port type is declared in "/policy/modules/kernel/corenetwork.te.in":

network_port(audit, tcp,60,s0)

The policy for how auditd interacts with this port is in
"/policy/modules/system/logging.te":

corenet_tcp_bind_audit_port(auditd_t)
corenet_sendrecv_audit_server_packets(auditd_t)

Both the corenetwork and logging policy are part of the base module.

One could create a custom module to make this work:

mkdir ~/myauditd; cd ~/myauditd;
echo "policy_module(myauditd, 0.0.1)" > myauditd.te;
echo "require { type auditd_t; }" >> myauditd.te;
echo "type audit_port_t;" >> myauditd.te;
echo "corenet_reserved_port(audit_port_t)" >> myauditd.te;
echo "allow auditd_t audit_port_t:tcp_socket { name_bind };" >>
myauditd.te;

(sudo yum install selinux-policy-devel)

make -f /usr/share/selinux/devel/Makefile

sudo /usr/sbin/semodule -i myauditd.pp
sudo /usr/sbin/semanage port -a audit_port_t -p tcp 60

Disclaimer this example may have errors or may be incomplete. Use it at
your own risk.

auditd_t probably needs more permission to interact with audit_port_t
(connect, send receive packets etc), however one can use audit2allow to
"extend" policy.

hth, Dominick