Reiserfs question

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Wed Oct 27 22:04:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:21:30AM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > Same here, we've had numerous catastrophic filesystem failures with ext3
> > in production systems.
> Should only occur on drive failure, things like bad ram, and IDE drives
> when you hard reboot and don't have them set to writethrough caching.

Happened on power failures or on situations that called for the red button
(eg runaway processes etc).

> What releases ?

2.4.x kernels, which we also use reiserfs on. reiserfs didn't fail under
the exact same situations on the exact same hardware. we have a few legacy
systems still on ext3 but we are upgrading them to reiserfs as we get the
chance.

fwiw we also had bad experiences with xfs.

-Dan