[Freeipa-devel] First cut of schema doc

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 23:39:23 UTC 2007

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:50 -0700, Pete Rowley wrote:
>
>> Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> Doesn't that break referrals to other DIT trees that may hold other
>>> parts of the data?
>>>

>> I don't think so, but then I don't think we are going to support such a
>> model.
>>

> It just seems ugly and inconsistent to start that far up the domain
> tree.
/shrug - that's how they thought all trees would look originally, or at
least, the one tree to rule them all :)  Not married to it though, I was
just looking for a way of renaming cn=default which simo wanted.
>   And it seems to invite someone to hard-code dc=com, then be
> busted when deployed to dc=au...

I don't see how that is any more true than with any other suffix. The
dc=com can actually be any suffix, but in practice our install scripts
will create the suffix and create this tree structure. If clients are
likely to hard code anything it would be the basedn = the kerberos
realm/dns domain name dc-ified, which would be right and we'll try to
keep it that way.

OTOH if anyone can come up with a nice name for the dc=realm bit (which
used to be called cn=default - ick) we can drop this.

> If we can't modify it, can we at least have the clients search the
> published suffixes (we do publish them somehow don't we?)
yes in rootDSE in namingContexts attribute
>  for
> objectClass=ipaRealm?

that's the idea

--