[Freeipa-devel] First cut of schema doc

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 13:18:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 22:54 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 08:45 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:

> > > could be dc=org or whatever that component of the realm name is. The
> > > important thing is the splitting off of the most significant portion of
> > > the realm name from the suffix to be part of DIT (replacing cn=default
> > > which we didn't like)
> >
> > Ooooh now I see the point, but I honestly don't like it :)
>
> I'm still unclear:  If my realm was abartlet.net, are things under
> dc=abartlet,dc=net, with that DN having an extra objectClass of
> ipaRealm?

Pete proposal was:
dc=net (objectclass=pilotObject / info=IPA v1.0)
|- cn=system
|  |-cn=kerberos
|  \-cn=ipa
|-dc=abartlet (objectclass=ipaRealm)
   |-ou=people
   |-ou=groups

I say now:

dc=abartlet,dc=net (objectclass=pilotObject / info=IPA v1.0)
|- cn=system
|  |-cn=kerberos
|  \-cn=ipa
|- cn=realm
   |-ou=people
   |-ou=groups

Make sense?

> > I see, it make sense for our discovery utility indeed,but this is
> not
> > something we can "backport" to older clients or other OSs clients
> > unfortunately.
> > Also I am strating wondering if we really need to separate Users and
> > Groups in different OUs ... yes we do cause bloody Unix has 2
> different
> > name spaces for users and groups :(
>
> Having them in the same spot would make mapping to the AD style
> easier...
>
> Why can't they be under cn=group and uid=user?  Or better still, as we
> need the names to be unique for samba (even v3), just make that a
> restriction?

I know, I wa even thinking of forcibly merging personal groups into
users and have a monotonic merged uid/gid counter so that we basically
mege the user and group spaces. but I need a lot of time to explain why
this make sense in general and specifically for interoperate with
Windows.

Is this interesting for v1? Or should we delay discussions for post v1?