[Freeipa-devel] LDAP over XML

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 13:26:58 UTC 2007

Karl MacMillan wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 07:54 -0400, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm just a lurker interested in FreeIPA.  I do not want to waste your
>> time, but I wonder ...
>>
>> Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Why do "LDAP over XML" in the first place ?  Can't the client just query
>> the directory server directly ?  This seem very awkward to me.
>>

> I have to agree - as soon as we start passing back ldif we should just
> go for LDAP queries.

Sigh. Look. We have to pass back data to the client somehow right? And
the data may be binary which, while supported by RPC, without a schema
parser I can't easily identify them (without hardcoding).

So I'm passing back a dict of all values returned by a search, the
easiest thing to do. Obviously at some point we could restrict it to
just the fields requested, not send objectclass, whatever. But it is
simply easier to send everything.

It is trivial to parse an LDIF into a dict and return that. This way the
fields that need to be encoded are encoded and the rest are plain
strings. On the receiving side you can do easy stuff like user['cn'] or
add a __getattr_ and do user.cn.

One advantage that this RPC approach has is writing clients is trivial.
I wrote a basic adduser CLI client in about 3 minutes yesterday. A
shared library does the same thing for us but is language dependant. I'm
not invested in one way or the other but we must decide very soon. Its
hard to develop on shifting sands.

And remember all this is moot if we can't do forwarded kerberos tickets.
At this point I'm completely blocked on it and have moved onto other
things that need to be done. It might be a good exercise for someone
else to stand up freeipa and try to get basic kerberos working like I
did. Then they can stick Apache in the mix and see if they can get
forwarding to work in their environment.

rob