[Freeipa-devel] Turbogears

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 18:40:01 UTC 2007

Kevin McCarthy wrote:
> I've been playing with TurboGears a bit recently.  I like some parts of
> it, but not others (I'm a python beginner, so that's part of it I
> guess).
>
> One thing that really bothers me is that TurboGears seems to
> crash/shutdown easily.  If you type def foo() and forget the colon, then
> save your file, your server shuts down.  This doesn't promote the
> "rapid-development" model these kind of frameworks espouse.  Do any of
> you know a fix for this?

It crashes because it can't reload the updated python. I find it
annoying too but have just gotten used to it (and better at python syntax).

> Smaller things I find weird is that SQLObjects save on contruction,
> which doesn't lend itself to temporary model objects.  And "widgets"
> invoke bad memories of JSP tags.

We can't use SQLObjects can we? We don't have a SQL database.

> I'd be interested to hear some of the good experiences/high points for
> this framework from others.  I'm trying not to judge too much as I've
> only done the tutorial.
>
> thanks,

One of the main factors in choose it was the ability to easy forge ahead
using generic objects (dicts, lists and such) instead of SQL objects.
And since python was chosen as the language for the XML-RPC server
having one language across things is nice.

rob