[Freeipa-devel] UID and email address suggestion algorithms

Kevin McCarthy kmccarth at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 16:29:27 UTC 2007

Simo Sorce wrote:
> I am sure customers will come asking for customizing the way this is
> done.
> Every company you visit have their own standards to create user names
> and sometimes they simply cannot be changed.
> Is there any chance we can express this as a set of regexp stored on the
> directory that the app fetches? This way they can be easily customized.

I agree companies will want to customize this.  However, I think we'll
need more than just a regexp to fully express this.  Another idea might
be to provide a set of methods that we supply, and they can specify
which to use and in which order.  If they want to customize, they can
code up a method (in Python) and add it to a special directory.

This may take some time to get right, so my feeling for right now is
provide a reasonable default and a way to disable auto-suggest.  If
there is time later (after getting more of the application done) we can
revisit or perhaps push to 2.0.

-Kevin