[Freeipa-devel] command-line arguments

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 15:27:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 11:11 -0400, Andrew C. Dingman wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 10:49 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > Usually uidNumbers may have to be set for system accounts, but for user
> > accounts??
>
> In an ideal world, no. In the real world, it can smooth things out just
> often enough that I wouldn't want the ability to go away. I wouldn't
> mind if it were a bit of a pain, though, 'cause even in a large
> environment it's a rare occurrence. Personally, as long as I can safely
> make the change with ldapmodify on the new user and group, I don't feel
> a need for a specific UI. If it's more complicated than that to pull
> off, I do.

ldapmodify will do it, so I vote for not letting the admin specify the
uidNumber in the current tools.

> > And this opens another debate, should we have system services accounts
> > in IPA?
> > IMO no, for v1 at least they should stay local in /etc/passwd as
> > unfortunately they are not at all standardized on all platforms and
> > linux flavors.
>
> Sounds reasonable to start with. System accounts aren't even the same
> across an all-RHEL site, since some packages add their own.
>
> There's an argument to be made that putting 'root' in the directory is a
> good thing, since it lets you leave the account passwordless on the
> local systems. That's nice if you have an admin leave and need to change
> the password everywhere.

It makes it also impossible to take the system out or to log in when the
network is down for system maintenance. Until we have offline support I
would not do this.
Also having a single per-site password, would make it for a very bad
situation when the password is compromised (you have access as root on
_all_ the machines at that point).
Also it make it impossible for users to join the machine and keep
themselves control on it. In some enterprises that is not wanted but in
many R&D departments that's a necessity.

>  If you do that, though, it would be good to
> make the client installer remove the local root password so that the
> system doesn't end up with two working credentials for root, one of
> which will never get rotated. And, of course, whether having root in
> both /etc/password and LDAP even works depends on your NSS
> configuration. I'm afraid I haven't followed this project quite closely
> enough to know how it would work with the rest of your infrastructure.

No plan to move root into IPA for now, ah and now that I think of it I
am going to make sure our conf does not allow to "see" uids lower than
500 (or we risk disrupting local accounts and root) for IPAv1