[Freeipa-devel] [RFC] show first/last name in ipa-finduser output

Martin Nagy mnagy at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 12:48:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

Rob Crittenden wrote:
> We currently display common name in ipa-finduser which can cause
> confusion since we explicitly provide options for managing first and
> last name. Updating those doesn't automatically update the cn field so
> it looks as if a change hasn't been applied.
>
> So here is my first crack at fixing it. All I've done is grab sn and
> givenname instead of cn and ensure that in the display sn comes after
> gn. It looks like:
>
> % ipa-finduser tuser1
> First Name: Testy
> Last Name: User
> Home Directory: /home/tuser1
> Login Shell: /bin/sh
> Login: tuser1
>
> % ipa-finduser -a tuser1 |grep Full
> Full Name: Test User
>
> So you can see that the Full Name (cn) isn't the same as givenname + sn.
>
> I wanted to avoid creating some sort of special "full name" attribute
> because one can run this with -n to get the real LDAP attribute names
> and I didn't want anyone trying to query for LDAP attributes that don't
> exist.

Regarding your approach, I think it might be just a bit inconvenient for
the user, but it would at least be correct and avoid some confusion.
Since I don't have any better idea, I say we do it.

> So here is a patch for the current approach. Need some feedback.

Regarding the patch:
  > +        # Always have sn following givenname
  > +        try:
  > +            l = attr.index('givenname')
-> +            try:
  > +                attr.remove('sn')
-> +            except:
-> +                pass
  > +            attr.insert(l+1, 'sn')
  > +        except:
  > +            pass
  > +

I'd remove the lines that I marked here with '-'. I think we don't want
to insert 'sn' to the attr list if it wasn't there. I just hope
[].remove() doesn't throw any other exceptions :)

Hope this helps.

Martin