[Freeipa-devel] freeIPA and NIS

Ahmed Kamal email.ahmedkamal at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:53:28 UTC 2008

Hi,
Thanks for freeIPA, keep up the awesome work. I have a couple of questions
please

-Does freeIPA offer a migration path off of NIS ? (to maintain same
UID/GIDs) ?
-Can the freeIPA server present itself as a NIS server as well (same
UID/GID), this is for clients that can't join freeIPA domain (like NAS
boxes?)
-I am considering running open-solaris (for ZFS as a storage box), did any
of you guys try joining that to freeIPA ? Any idea of their in-kernel CIFS
server would recognize users uid/gid as stored in ldap and that would be the
same as used on NFS!
-FreeIPA2 should be out fairly soon, is there a final word on how the
Windows integration is going to look like (particularly if there's no AD) ?

Thanks a lot