[Freeipa-devel] Moving from /usr/share/

Karl MacMillan kmacmill at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 18:39:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 17:18 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Rich Megginson wrote:
> > Rob Crittenden wrote:
> >> I'm working on a specfile so we can submit IPA to be included in Fedora.
> >>
> >> Fedora follows the FHS, we do not (my fault, mostly).
> >>
> >> We install a slew of stuff into /usr/share/ipaserver. /usr/share is
> >> really for architecture-independent stuff. We should probably be using
> >> /usr/lib/ipaserver instead.
> >>
> >> Any objections to switching?
> > What will you use /usr/lib/ipaserver for?
>
> We have python libraries there, some of which we might be able to coerce
> into /usr/lib/python*/site-packages, but not all. A few of them are the
> XML-RPC interface used by Apache.

A lot of that code I don't think we want to expose as a python library -
it's not ready to be used that way. It's really the guts of
applications.

Are you certain that /usr/share is not appropriate? I thought that .pyc
files were portable, so all of that is arch-independent. Additionally,
other python apps store their code there.

Karl