[Freeipa-devel] using freeipa as a samba backend

William Baker bbaker at priefert.com
Wed May 7 23:53:46 UTC 2008

I've got an existing FDS running as LDAP backend for Samba.  I maintain
accounts in that system with the smbldap- tools.  I read somewhere that
the ipa- tools should create the LM hash for Samba, but I don't seem to
find that documentation now. I've also followed along enough to know
that the true Samba integration is really a V2 feature.

Is it possible now to use the ipa-useradd tool in smb.conf?

I suppose the smbldap-tools should continue to work with FreeIPA, though
I could imagine this might not be "best practice".  Is there a "best
practice" for using FreeIPA with Samba?  I would really like an approach
that allowed me to use V1 today and transition to V2 without too much pain.

Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question that I should see in the MAN
pages.  I can't boot my FreeIPA server right now since FDS can't find
the DNS server, and the boot process hangs with a message about
initializing sbus.  I've seen this before when using LDAP as a backend
user account manager and know how to deal with it, as soon as I figure
out how to boot a different runlevel in a Xend VM.  But that's not
really the problem I'm asking about here.  If anyone asks, I can detail
the problem more clearly for other normal "users" that will have the
same problem after Fedora 9 is released.

By the way, congrats on getting V1 into Fedora 9.  You'll probably know
how long it took FDS to get into the Fedora repository.  Everybody
should be pleased to see FreeIPA progressing so well.

bbaker