[Freeipa-devel] using with samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 3 02:13:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 10:39 -0400, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> I need to correct myself a bit. Samba 4 can use different back ends. The
> primary back end it uses is the LDB - internal LDAP style storage. It is
> fast and efficient.
> The alternative back end Samba 4 can use is OpenLDAP. This work more
> experimental but OpenLDAP currently seems to be more feature rich from
> the prospective of Samba4 then Fedora DS.

We also have (even more experimental) support for Fedora DS, handling
some of easy stuff (schema format, automatic initialisation, and mapping
of nsuiqueID to objectGUID).  But this, like the OpenLDAP support
replaces the schema.

> The FreeIPA uses Fedora DS as a back end. For the task of bringing Samba
> 4 and IPA together the options would be to try to use one and the same
> back end or synch data if there will be two.
> In both cases the mapping of entries, attributes and DITs would be the
> first biggest problem to solve.

Thanks Dmitiri,

This captures the situation and requirements much more clearly.  Figure
out the mapping and the rest will be easy.  (That does not mean the
schema mapping will be easy however...)

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett