[Freeipa-devel] Patch for the INI parser. Ceanup. Prep for INI validation.

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 23:35:50 UTC 2009

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 16:50 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>> Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>>> Nack
>>>
>>> Do not include so many different changes in a single patch. Of note,
>>> never include formatting changes alongside functional changes. This
>>> needs to be broken up into at least two patches, one for the formatting
>>> and the other for the functional changes.
>>>
>>> There is no need to internationalize the empty string. It's a waste of
>>> gettext macros.
>>>
>>> I am morally opposed to the use of inline in a public API, but I can
>>> live with it.
>>>

>> After several off-list discussions, I'm going to push this patch, and
>> Dmitri will follow up with some additional fixes.
>>
>> Highlights: his copy of git is broken, so breaking the patch in two is
>> non-trivial. The strings are placeholders, so it's fine to
>> internationalize them. Inline may be removed in a subsequent patch.
>>
>> Ack and pushed.
>>

> Please next time make these discussions public.
> There is no pressing need to push this patch immediately, if Dmitri has
> problems with his git tree, he better get it fixed before going forward.
> It's not an excuse to get poor patches in.
>
> Simo.

Simo, the point is that:

a) There is no clear guidance about the "inline" thing. So it is not a
bug and not an issue.
But I am willing to correct it anyways with the follow up patch.
b) The strings are placeholders and will be replaced by the full
functionality and I am working on it.
The functions that are committed that have there "strings" are not yet
used by any code.
Plus the code makes sure that these lines are never returned (the valid
range is empty).
It just seemed inefficient to clear this code.
c) The only real issue is that formatting changes and real fixes are in
the same patch. I would do my best to submit it as different patches in
future.
It seems really inefficient to force me to redo it now especially when I
have issues with git merge.

Simo I agree that should probably find the solution to the git problem
but I currently do not see a way to do it without wasting a lot of time.
I am already behind on other things and with all this volume of the
tasks I can't afford redoing things twice.
All the notes, comments and suggestions you and Steven give are factored
and I do not repeat the mistakes twice.
So there is a bit of difference between a "poor" patch  and "sufficient
under current circumstances patch".

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal