[Freeipa-devel] Breaking changes at end of interation cycle

Jason Gerard DeRose jderose at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 19:58:46 UTC 2009

There are some breaking changes that need to be made, and I think it
makes sense to make them at the end of the current iteration cycle,
right before we make our first V2 milestone/alpha release (or whatever
we're going to call it).  This way we don't interrupt anyone's work.

So I propose that at the end of the cycle, we do a 1-2 day freeze during
which I can quickly make some tree changes, depreciate a few features
that need to be.  Then everyone can help fix any problems that it might
introduce (for stuff that has unit tests, I'll fix it as I go) and we'll
do a release.

My list of breaking changes is currently just 3 things:

1. Finish errors/errors2 cleanup: migrate any remaining needed
exceptions from `errors` to the new `errors2` module, then remove
`errors`, renamed `errors2` to `errors`, and renamed any references.

2. Finish migrating away from my bad f_* b_* naming convention for
plugin modules.  Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's bad for
the signal-to-noise ratio in the tree and in the epydoc pages.  Also
goes against Python module naming conventions.  Easy change, but I don't
want to interrupt anyone's work.

3. self.log.debug() etc. is depreciated and should be changed to
self.debug() etc.  After this has been fixed in the plugins, I'll remove
the Plugin.log instance attribute.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jason