[Freeipa-devel] SSSD persistent storage

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Feb 27 15:00:25 UTC 2009

I'm at the point now where I need to add persistent storage capability
for the log file monitoring code. I need to be able to store and
retrieve small pieces of structured information efficiently (i.e.
timestamps and offsets of monitored files).

My recollection is that SSSD has implemented persistent storage via a
lightweight local LDAP (e.g. LDB). The LDAP paradigm is not well suited
for the type of data I need to manage and as such I'd like to use some
other persistent storage mechanism aside from LDAP for this purpose, a
SQL database is a pretty good match however. FWIW the audit code on the
server side will also need to use SQL to track the data it collects from
the client so being able to share SQL code logic in both the client and
server sides of the audit code would be a win. I'm considering using
SQLite (at least on the client side because it's small, lightweight,
efficient, portable, and uses a single simple flat file, server side
might well use Postgresql or MySQL, but that's yet to be decided and
tangential to the question being asked here).

So before I go too far down the road of adding SQLite support in the
client code I want to check if the SSSD code has some other persistent
storage scheme other than an LDAP-like interface and if so what it is. I
also want to get any comments back as to whether adding SQLite to the
set of software we install with the client code might raise any issues
which should be taken into consideration up front. It would be good to
share as many software components on the client as is possible and
minimize what we install.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?