[Freeipa-devel] Separating admin policy create role from deploy role

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 18:13:40 UTC 2009

Karl Wirth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With IPA v2, I think we should make it easy for an organization to set
> up the following two different admin roles:
> 1) Able to create a policy but can't deploy it
> 2) Able to check and deploy a policy but not create it.
> I think this fits with the controls many organizations have.
>
> Might it be possible to accomplish this using the DS ACIs to restrict
> access to the policies and the policy links?
We could handle this using ACIs in DS depending on how a policy is
"deployed".  If we have a particular attribute that is used as a flag to
"deploy" the policy, user #2 could have write access to this one
attribute in the policy portion of the tree while being able to read the
rest of the policy for checking.

User #1 would be able to write all of the policy attributes except for
the "deploy" flag attribute.