[Freeipa-devel] per-group password policy proposal

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 11:55:19 UTC 2009

On 06/11/2009 03:36 AM, Sergei V. Kovylov wrote:
> Hello guys.
> I hope it's OK for devel if I share my point of view for this question.

Sergei, thank you very much for your input. We always welcome additional
points of view.

> I think that Dmitri is right. It's usual situation, when user may
> exists in several groups and decision of which group's policy must be
> applied is hard to define (it must be on end-user side not on
> developers one).

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this. On a previous project I
worked on, we implemented group-based password policy as the merge of
the most-restrictive requirements of all of the groups the user was a
member of.

In other words, if user U is in groups A and B, with the following policies:

Group A:
Length: 6 or more characters, maximum 32
Complexity: Must contain one number, one capital letter and one
lower-case letter

Group B:
Length: Between 8 and 40 characters
Complexity: Must contain one number and one special character

The merge of these two groups for User A would be:
Length: Between 8 and 32 characters
Complexity: Must contain one number, one special character, one capital
letter and one lower-case letter

The problem with this approach is that it's possible to add someone to a
set of groups that have incompatible settings. For example, if you have
a maximum password of 8 characters and you require 3 numbers, 3
lower-case and 3 upper-case characters, then there is no way to satisfy
the condition. I think we solved this in that previous project by making
the maximum password length unnecessarily large and assuming that the
customer wouldn't be foolish enough to set that many rules.

<snip>
--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761