[Freeipa-devel] C++ Style Guide

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 16:34:54 UTC 2009

Our coding style guides are referenced on our wiki here:
http://freeipa.com/page/Contribute#Developer_Documentation

However they do not discuss C++ style. Since I'm writing a fair amount
of C++ code (in part forced by the fact the AMQP client code only has a
C++ binding, not C) it's time define our style conventions for C++.

I propose is following the Google C++ style guide:
http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.xml

It seems reasonable and it's influential. It seems to follow many common
conventions and eschews the junk associated with the Microsoft C++
conventions.

Since I don't want to write a style guide from scratch and the Google
C++ style guide seems like a reasonable pick I propose we just reference
the Google guide and be done with it.

Anybody have any problems with this proposal? Comments? Flames?

If not I'll just update the wiki to point to the Google guide.

P.S.: C and C++ are such different languages despite superficial
similarities it would be inappropriate IMHO for our C++ style to derive
from our C style guide, they should be independent reflecting the
inherent differences between the languages.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/