[Freeipa-devel] Re: Need Advice on "DEB" packaging.

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon May 4 17:15:28 UTC 2009

Miguel P.C. wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Ahead of time, could you tell me what distribution of Ubuntu you are
>> doing your development on and what patches you've applied to get the
>> source to build in that environment?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty".
> To build the packages I'm using "pbuilder" to have a, let's say,
> pristine environment to work every time I try to build.
>
>> I'd like to put together a VM and
>> see if I can duplicate your results to make it easier to debug.
>
> Just install Ubuntu 9.04 in the VM and follow the Ubuntu Packaging Guide:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete
>
> If I'm not wrong I installed the following packages (some simply meta-packages):
> * build-essential
> * ubuntu-dev-tools
> * dev-scripts
> * dh-make
> * pbuilder
>
> Then I created the environmet with the following command line:
> $ sudo pbuilder create
> When used w/o options it simply creates it with the same version of
> the system you are working on.
>
> Then I wrote the files needed to create a debian package up to the
> point when build is needed (no further testing). I attach those files
> as they are not big at all.
>
> Afterwards I download the source file (sssd-0.3.3.tar.gz) unpack it,
> unpack the debian directory inside the unpacked source (no
> tongue-twister intended) and copy it to  sssd_0.3.3.orig.tar.gz.
>
> Finally I go into sssd-0.3.3 directory and run pdebuild. This creates
> the environment with the specified build-deps (included in the
> "debian/control" file)  and tries to compile/build the package.
>
> Hope this helps. (My 0.02 €)
>
> M*
>

>> - --
>> Stephen Gallagher
>> RHCE 804006346421761
>>
>> Looking to carve out IT costs?
>> www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/

Miguel, I have sent a patch to the freeipa-devel-list with some header
file changes to solve the compilation issues you were seeing.

There are still problems remaining, however. Ubuntu's libldb-samba4-dev
package does not include the ldb_module.h header (and associated files),
so it is impossible to build the LDB modules we need within the SSSD.
You need to contact the LDB package maintainer for Ubuntu and arrange
for this functionality to be included. Until that is done, you won't be
able to build the SSSD.

At the same time, you should request of the Ubuntu Samba maintainers to
produce a libtevent and libtevent-dev package separate from
samba4-common and python-samba4-dev (respectively) that includes a
pkg-config file for TEvent. This will simplify building the SSSD. In the
meantime, the following environment variables will work around this problem:
export TEVENT_LIBS="/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/tevent.so"
export TEVENT_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/samba-4.0/"

- --