[Freeipa-devel] adding a new dependency (python-lxml)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Oct 23 13:49:22 UTC 2009

Do we have a procedure to follow when we want to add a new dependency on
a package?

In this particular instance I would like to add a dependency on
python-lxml to the ipaserver package. python-lxml is a python binding to
the very popular and high performance libxml2 package by our own Daniel
Veillard. FWIW there are already a lot of packages being shipped which
depend on libxml2.

Why? We already have a need to parse xml and we're using minidom.
However minidom has a lot of limitations, foremost amongst them is it's
inability to parse HTML (it also lacks support for things like xpath).
python-lxml gives us the ability to do things we need to do but is
absent in minidom.

So are there any issues with pulling in libxml2 via python-lxml?

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/