[Freeipa-devel] what's deprecated & what's in use in our tree?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 22:06:31 UTC 2010

John Dennis wrote:
> Thanks Rob, a couple more questions:
>
>>> According to Jason everything under ipapython is deprecated right?
>>
>> No.
>>>
>>> Is everything under ipaserver/install deprecated too?
>>
>> No. This is the server installer code.
>

> Earlier today Jason said this:
>
> "the legacy code from v1 (ipapython, the installer) and the new plugable
> v2 code (ipalib, ipaserver)"
>
> Then what did Jason mean when he used the term "legacy"? I took that to
> mean deprecated, or did he mean it's just older vintage?

I think he meant "from v1". Huge gobs of code was completely dropped
when we transitioned.

>>> Under ipaserver the only imports for ipapython are in the
>>> ipaserver/install directory, which is o.k. because install is
>>> deprecated.
>>
>> No, this is where we put common code that is not part of the framework.
>>
>> ipapython is sort of common client/server code that lives outside the
>> management framework that Jason did (ipalib).
>
> O.K. I'm still confused :-) Above you state ipaserver/install *and*
> ipapython is where common code outside the framework belongs. Is there a
> fine distinction being drawn between the two import areas such that they
> can't live together?

No ipaserver/install is the server installer, ipapython is the
client/server/installer common code.

> Can you define the term "framework"?

It basically equates to the client/server model for the plugin system.
It supports JSON and XML-RPC (though the later is what we mostly use).

The core of this is in ipalib. Plugins shared between the client and
server are in ipalib/plugins. Things that are server-specific are found
in ipaserver. ipaserver/install is used only during installation.

rob