[Freeipa-devel] New web directory

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 13:46:09 UTC 2010

Adam Young wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 02:35 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Adam Young wrote:
>>> I think we need a new web directory, something similar to
>>> /usr/share/ipa/html, but that shows up in the web url.
>>>
>>> The wsgi code chops off the file extension, so user.html becomes
>>> user.  THis will break the javascript.  I'm assuming that was why
>>> we're currently  putting the .js files into /var/lib/cache/assets.
>>>
>>> I think the simplest appraoch would be to create a directory in
>>> /var/www/html  For static content.  Then, the stuff that I have
>>> checked into freeipa/web (minus the sample data sub dir) would be
>>> deployed to there.   Of course, the problem is that the /ipa URL path
>>> gets redirected to WSGI, but I think we can put an explicit excludes
>>> in for it.
>>
>> Well, we made a conscious decision not to put data into /var/www/html,
>> I believe mostly related to SELinux, and also to keep our stuff
>> separate. This is also legacy from having TurboGears serving up the UI.
>>
>> I'm ok with having multiple listeners on /ipa/*, we just want to be
>> sure to keep everything under /ipa and not take over the whole root
>> (well, we do that now but it is easily resolved by removing a couple
>> of redirects).
>
> We already moved forward with putting things into
> /usr/share/ipa/static.  Right now this maps to /ipa/static in the URLs
>

> Not thrilled with the currrent naming scheme.  I'd like to put all of
> our web content under one dir, perhaps /usr/share/ipa/html, with images,
> config, and error as subdirs.  We can turn on auth for all, and turn it
> off for error and config.

Don't feel bound by legacy, just understand the reasons so we don't have
regressions or relive history. If you want to change things go ahead and
we'll argue about it in the patches.

> I'm not sure that the wsgi code should go under share, as the rest of
> the dynamic python code is under the /usr/lib/python directory.

Well, not really. /usr/lib[64]/python* is really for python libraries.
The wsgi code is really standalone used just by Apache. If you want to
stick it in another subdirectory I'm fine with that, but it doesn't
belong alongside the python libraries IMHO.

rob